The Discipleship Training School (DTS) is a dynamic life changing experience that transforms one’s life and helps you understand God more deeply, live more like Jesus, and identify your unique gifts and purpose to use anywhere God leads you. DTS begins with an 12 week classroom (lecture) phase, followed by an 8 week outreach phase. During the lecture phase, you will hear daily teaching from national and international speakers, YWAM leaders, and other members of the body of Christ. You will engage in worship and intercession, be mentored by a staff member in a one-on-one setting, and participate in various activities outside of the classroom.
The second phase is field placement or outreach phase: This phase lasts for a minimum of 8 weeks in which students will experience the mission field to serve God through creative evangelism, acts of compassion, intercession, and other expressions of God’s love. Debriefing: At the end of the field placement (and at the end of the entire DTS programme) students have a time where teams regroup, share testimonies, and process what God has done in them and through them over the course of the DTS. Debriefing week culminates in graduation, where DTS students receive their certificates and are released to continue responding to Christ’s Great Commission by obeying wherever God leads them and making Him known to the nations.
The DTS emphasis is not so much on knowledge gained as on principles applied; not on information but transformation; not on heads filled with facts but hearts filled with hope, faith and love. The DTS emphasizes cross-cultural exposure and global awareness, preparing students to answer the call to “Go into all the world and make disciples of all nations” Matthew 28:19.
Note: The DTS is a prerequisite for all other courses and is therefore the gateway into the seven Colleges/Faculties and various Centres of the University of the Nations.
The purpose of the DTS is:
- To GATHER and CHALLENGE people to worship, listen and obey God, releasing them (in the context of the DTS) to serve through evangelism, intercession, acts of compassion and other expressions of God’s heart for the world, possibly even pioneering new ministries.
- To INSPIRE and CULTIVATE growth in ones relationship with God resulting in Christ-like character; based on a solid biblical foundation, the work of the Holy Spirit and the personal application of biblical truth, especially concerning God’s character, the Cross, and empowering grace.
- To SHARPEN ones ability to relate to, learn from, and work with people, including those of different cultures, personalities, and perspectives.
- To further EQUIP each one to serve God’s purposes either within or outside of YWAM Family of Ministries, strengthening a commitment to reach the lost and unreached, to care for the poor, and to influence all areas of society.
- To IMPART the vision and foundational values of Youth With A Mission International as well as that of the host operating location and to provide information regarding a variety of opportunities for service.
The DTS aims to graduate students:
- With a growing understanding of the breadth and depth of God’s character and ways
- Who are becoming more like Jesus in the way they relate to God and people
- Who increasingly cooperate with the empowering presence of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- Who listen to and obey God as the result of God’s enabling grace.
- Who search the Scripture in such a way that transforms beliefs, values and behaviors.
- With strengthened lifestyles of worship, intercession and spiritual warfare.
- With a greater ability to work with others, especially those different from themselves.
- Who can share the Gospel with the lost and have a life-long commitment to do so, with a commitment to continue to be involved in some way with God’s work among the nations, including un-reached people, the poor and needy, and in spheres of society.
- Who understand the calling and values of YWAM and are aware of a variety of opportunities available to them throughout YWAM.
- With a clearer understanding of God’s purposes and sense of direction for their lives.
- Who go on to serve God in either a context familiar or foreign to them or pursue further training (in or outside of YWAM) to equip them for further service.
Opportunities through the DTS:
- Build friendships with people from around the world that could last a lifetime, while being challenged as you discover more about the person God created you to be.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to learn language through immersion and practice in our state-of-the-art language lab during the Lecture Phase of the DTS.
- Practice living out your faith while serving the nations during outreach phase and experiencing cultures and languages you haven’t encountered before.
- Grow closer to God as you learn more about his nature, character, and love.